I'm leaving gay Parhee in a matter of hours. It has been an amazing trip from start to finish although, as if on cue, this morning I woke up with a terrible sore throat. At least my health waited until my iminent departure to decline.
My last day was lovely, spent ruminating about Paris, its history, architecture, and class conflicts. My friend served as an excellent source of all this information not to mention where to score the best bloody Bloody Mary. It was an insider's view of Paris. He took me to a cemetary which sounds morbid and it was but it was also very cool. My friend and I were both journalism majors in college with an emphasis in broadcast news. When we graduated, I went to CNN and he to The New York Times to participate in what was being called the advent of the "Digital Age" and those of us who knew better regarded as a sadly doomed venture. Ten some odd years later, he travels to places like Cambodia to free sex slaves and Darfur to chronicle the "next Rwanda." loser. Anyway, he's like a big brother, always trying to push me to live up to my potential, become the foreign correspondent I was destined to be or at least pick up and read something non-fiction. As we wandered through the cemetary, he attempted to point out famous Parisians buried there and all I could say was, "Ou'est Josephine Baker?!"
Upon my return, I must first get off topamax for it failed miserably as an apetite suppressant and secondly go on a crash diet. From afar, the plan is to give up everything white, all carbs, creams, and carbs! Off with their heads, those pesky carbs! LET THEM EAT CAKE, for I will abstain and become the true news vixen I once was. Sigh... I can already tell that up close my fragile will give way to the first carb craving that rears its ugly head. Must find a man who appreciates the Renaissance woman, a modern Venus di Milo with fashion sense. That way, he'll complain about my love handles being too thin and insist on feeding me carbs to plumpen me up. Will temporarily enjoy this reverie until reality jolts me awake.
Tuesday, November 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment