Sunday, October 22, 2006

Weltschmerz

There is a word that perfectly encapsulates any given emotion. It's just a matter of discovering it. For instance, who knew that I was actually in a weltschmerz? That's what hit me like a ton of bricks and weighed me down like an anchor in a deep lake of remorse when I found out that Mo had not only found someone else to date him but that she was attractive, smart and into him?! Behold, weltschmerz \VELT-shmairts\:*1 : a mental depression or apathy caused by comparison of the actual state of the world with an ideal state 2 : a mood of sentimental sadness
But today as I drove down the Las Vegas Strip on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon to meet one of my best gal pals, it occurred to me that it had lifted. Even as I stood in the beautiful Bellagio atrium where my ex-husband had haphazardly proposed, I felt no pang of nostalgia, not tug of tormented what-if's? And when I drove through the Nevada mountains, over the Hoover Dam, I made a point of stopping at the scenic overlooks because that's what life is. The scenic overlooks. I wax poetic and promise that just as soon as I gain the fodder for folly, I'll wax sardonic once again.

No comments: